Thursday, October 10, 2019

Siding the old porch

 Fun times. OK,...so I'm back at it. I've removed the remaining aluminum siding from the house and recycled it. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got to this section of the house and unfortunately the clapboard didn't line up flush with the clapboard on the right.This used to be the back porch to the house. Complete mess with no insulation underneath! I'll be removing the wood studs and replacing with new to make it flush with the siding on the right. I was thinking of filling the cavity on the bottom with foam, but now sure what insulation I should use between the studs. It will be fairly shallow. If you have any recommendations please let me know. I'll be removing all of the siding on this side of the house and wrapping in Tyvek and then re-installing the siding once it's stripped, though much of it will be thrown away because of cracks.

 The red door on the bottom needs to be replaced too but have to figure out what type of door would be best. It's a small crawlspace.



2 comments:

Seth said...

I would be inclined to insulate the stud space woth foam to maximize the R value of the shallow depth. Since it's a small area, the most economical would be cutting sheets to fit and using Great Stuff to deal the gaps. Polyiso technically has thr highest R/inch, but in cold climates XPS actually performs better.

If you can get an extra 1/4" or 3/8" of space, I would consider putting the siding on battens to make it a rain screen wall. With tight insulation and plastic housewrap, you don't otherwise have a good path to dry out any errant moisture that makes it though the wall. It may give you longer paint life. I did that on a garage I re-sided with clapboards recently and was really happy with how it turned out.

American Foursquare Restoration said...

Thanks Seth. Sounds like you really know your stuff regarding insulation. Appreciate the advise.