Friday, June 05, 2015


Change your anode!

Later today I'll be changing out the anode in my water heater and thought...hmmm I wonder how many people do this sort of thing?

 It's a good thing to do every few years, especially if you have a finished basement as I do. Also water heaters are pretty expensive, and this will keep it lasting longer. The hardest part is getting that anode out, but if you have the right tools, and a cheater bar, it shouldn't be that hard to do.

I ordered my anode through Amazon and it was about $50 bucks. There are cheaper one's made of aluminum.

 Once you replace it, write on the water heater with marker the date it should be replaced.

 The video from This old house explains it very well. That cut-out is pretty gross though.



Saturday, May 24, 2014

Taking the roof scaffold down today on my last dormer. The rain is a bit tropical today....always on and off with some sun in between. Peaceful...except for the occasional leaf blower.




Saturday, May 10, 2014

After much deliberation,  I decided I really didn't need a double laundry sink in my basement. It was made of soapstone and it was huge. I never thought I'd ever break the thing up, but I did, and it really cleared up a lot of room. I replaced it with a simple $80.00 sink from Lowes that came with a faucet. It was a no brainer. While I was there, I came across a product called lint trapper. You place the thing right in the drain and it collects the lint before going down the drain. No need for a lint screen on the hose itself! Simply clean it off and re-use. You should check it out- it's brilliant--

It's hard to beat a post as sexy as a lint trap...but I'll try and kick it up a notch on my next post.

OK--back to working on the roof.




A very broken piano turned into a desk. The piano was beyond repair. I saved all of the remaining oak to later re-purpose. All metal including piano harp is now in my car for metal recycling. Man,... that harp was heavy.





 The original kitchen door leading to the basement was beyond repair, so instead of replacing it with a full door I decided to put in a swing door that was cut in half to will allow a bit more light coming from the side door. I found an old oak door someone put out for trash, and it worked great. I really like the ball catch in lieu of a whole door knob.

Monday, May 05, 2014

Just purchased these concrete urns for the front. Took a while to find, but I'm quite happy with them. Now to find some flowers to put in them--and it's back to the roof!



Sunday, December 08, 2013

Front steps! The day that ugly awning comes down will certainly be a happy day.